Off Grid Greenhouse Inquiry [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Mon May 20 16:43:15 PDT 2002

We just did a design for a large solar greenhouse and have designed several
smaller ones in the past few years that were on solar pv systems.  In reply
to your concerns -

We have had lots of brush replacement problems on greenhouse DC fans and
pumps and finally switched to fans and pumps that have special order very
high efficiency 120 volt AC motors powered by Trace SW inverters.

Pumping has been reduced by tier design.  i.e.  pump once to highest point
and let that water flow to next and next growing media ( each at lower
elevation) using gravity.

Our winters in Virginia are mild but still require propane space heaters.
We order greenhouses with insulating glazing, as most commercial standard
greenhouses have very poor thermal glazing.

Seedlings can grow well even in a cool greenhouse if there are electric
warmers under their root beddings.  However, we have looked into solar
thermal hot water flowing through rubber tubing buried in the bedding trays
to avoid electric heaters.

My recommendation is that you will still need some aux. heating in the
winter due to air infiltration from all the joints and cracks; also plants
still need air ventilation and air movement most of the time to keep down
diseases and insects.

Jeff Yago
Dunimis Technology Inc.
804-784-0063