Solar Hot Water Systems - PV vs delta T control [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu May 9 17:57:25 PDT 2002

Todd,
    I'm concerned with your 2-pump-on-1-PV-module approach with a 10HEH
Hartell. I was told that Hartells, being brushless DC and
electronically-controlled, have a voltage tolerance limit of 17 VDC. I would
think you'd exceed that anytime only one pump was running, and it would be
worse in cold temps. We put a couple of 2-ohm resistors on a couple of
oversized modules recently, in order to drop voltage for safety. Have you
had any problems?
Also, which differential controller? Is it powered off battery DC, or is it
PV-powered, or is it AC?
Allan @Positive E