Pv for s/h/w..... [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler, Positive Energy phil at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu May 9 08:06:22 PDT 2002

Original Message:  Kurt Nelson

If a tempering tank was used, plumbed in as a pre-heat to the existing H2O
heater, and a low voltage, low wattage DC heating element installed (use a
cheap glass-lined electric heater for this T-tank), and something on the
order of a couple hundred watts of PV wired in??

Paul Benson of Dankoff Solar had a similar arrangement as a dump load in his
old home, except he used the AC output of his SW to fire the electric
element.  I don't know the nitty-gritty details, but the 110 output driving
a 220 element consumed something like 500 watts--just enough to be the dump
load for his Whisper.  Think he used the SW's relays to control the whole
affair.  Said on windy days the propane never fired!

Enjoy the Sun!

Phil Undercuffler
Positive Energy

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious....
the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art
and true science"  --Albert Einstein

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm