Joel sees the "gas" light!! [RE-wrenches]

Lawrence Elliott larry at energyoutfitters.com
Tue May 7 18:39:16 PDT 2002

Bob. Good question.

A call to action??

First I would say that all I am trying to do is change the Re
communities attititude toward renewable h2 from one of at best
indifference and at worst contempt.
An attitude of indifference simply adds strength to an already overly
strong "big oil" position and contempt is simply illogical and
.....based on a reality check ,"energy suicide".

In short I am asking for renewable h2 to be given as much favor and
consideration as grid tie PV ,that in my opinion falls far short of the
mark in terms of environmental impact, economics, market growth, and
especially our energy security.

I suppose one big reason that I am so adamant about pursuing this thing
is my time spent looking at the same geological maps and educated
projections of oil reserves that George W,Chaney and others look at.
They all say the same thing when the "rose colored glasses are removed"
The era of cheap and abundant oil is almost over.
No not doom and gloom.
Just hard numbers backed up by allot of people in the know.

I suppose I am just a very practical person who never really gets swept
up in any trends unless I can see the hard data.
If we continue down the path of passively accepting oil and all of its
evils we are painting ourselves into an "energy corner".
Not embracing h2 now is similar to the old Irish proverb of the 29th
day.
The Irish farmers pond was doubling its cover of lily pads each day. On
the 29th day it was only half covered and he felt he had a long time to
wait. But on the 30th day it doubled and it was too late. The pond was
dead.
As Joel said and I agree people are not going to give up the car and our
economic engine revolves around it.
We have two choices.
Continue to slurp up oil like a drunken sailor for our transportation
needs and suffer the consequences or promote hydrogen.
Based on anything you want to look at show me another alternative.
No it is not a perfect solution but anything else isn't even in the
race.
The most easily adaptable form of hydrogen in our industry and for most
common people is electrolysis.
If we are going to spend millions of dollars and tons of resource on
grid tie PV why not also get more bang for the buck along the way.
I suppose that is really all I am saying.

Perhaps that is a call for action and I don't know it.

Larry Elliott