Guy-less tilt-up towers for Air turbines [RE-wrenches]

Hugh Piggott hugh.piggott at enterprise.net
Mon May 6 23:02:50 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
At 7:09 pm -0700 6/5/02, Doug Pratt wrote:
>Unless the tower is engineered for the side thrust of
>the particular turbine...Don't Do It!!

I wonder if this can be any more risky than using a 21' piece of
1-1/2 inch pipe without guys.  The suggestion below frightened me
much more. Especially when Jeff suggested going another unsupported
20 feet above that with some even thinner stuff.

At 10:04 am -0600 3/5/02, jeff.oldham at realgoods.com wrote:
>John, for my own Air 403, I used an abandoned 4" X 6' (tall) pipe left over
>from a tracker pole. It is 4' in the ground w/concrete. I then got a piece
>of 1-1/2" x 21' black iron pipe and simply through bolted it 4" below the
>top of the 4" pipe with a 1/2" bolt. I then lashed it .....

I would guess that a lattice tower would be the better option in
terms of strength to weight ratio for an free standing tower.  Of
course I agree that any tower has to be assessed for structural
strength.  Especially when supporting a wind turbine that has no
furling system.
--
Hugh

http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk/