Trace C60 Rating [RE-wrenches]

Eric Smiley Eric_Smiley at bcit.ca
Thu Apr 18 17:58:36 PDT 2002

This is something that has bugged me. The specs for the C Series aren't
consistent.

First, the manual for the C Series controllers doesn't exactly match the
markings on the particular controller sitting in front of me.

i.e. The manual has the C40  rated "40 amps DC continuous" for charging
load current, recommended breaker size is "60 Amps DC" and max short
circuit current is "80 amps intermittently". (?!)
However, the C40 sitting in front of me is marked maximum short circuit
current 85 amps DC. OK. Not really a big deal.

But...

Second, in the absence of other markings, the Heinemann CD 60 is only
rated continuous at 80% and I already have to multiply my PV STC current
rating by 125% to account for irradiance enhancement. Therefore the
array STC current should be about 38 Amps - based on breaker size alone.

I've not had the chance to use the C60 and this is partly because it  is
rated 60 amps DC for continous charging load current, but the
recommended breaker size is also, "60 amps (100% continuous duty cycle)"
!

So, unless I locate a 100% rated 60 amp DC breaker, my STC current  for
the C40 is the same as for the C60.

Should I use a larger, 80% rated breaker (i.e. 75 Amps) than recommended
in the manual? Probably, after all the C60 is rated 60 amps DC
continuous.
Why the 60 Amp recommended breaker though?
Is it because Xantrex doesn't sell a 75 Amp breaker?
Am I wrong and the CD 60 is 100% continuous rated?

Eric Smiley - Project Leader
Photovoltaic Energy Applied Research
BCIT Technology Centre

phone: 604.432.8657    fax: 604.436.0286
esmiley at bcit.ca             www.tc.bcit.ca

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm