How would you handle this situation? [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Thu Apr 18 13:52:05 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
I'm with Bill on this.  Wasn't this recent Xantrex/UL fiasco triggered in
large measure due to misunderstandings in how to perform and interpret a
particular "standard" UL test?

I've observed other segments of the electronic industry work their way
through this phase of maturing.  Without following the process Bill
outlines, all you get is more disputes and bickering, not less.  Anything
less than fully-standardized testing may shed some light on things, for
those who want to read carefully between the lines.  But never
underestimate the power of a marketing department to effectively discredit
a 3rd party test, no matter how carefully conducted, if it reflects poorly
on one of their flagship products.

John Raynes
RE Solar
Sandy UT

At 02:30 PM 4/18/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Joel,
>
>The procedure is more important than the outfit that performs the test. It
>has to be clear and understandable what the test means--and everyone does it
>the same way. Only then does an independent third party test help the
>process.
>
>We have a good idea of what those test procedures should look like, but we
>still need to finalize that process. In the interrim, some side-by-side
>testing will be going on to test and validate the procedures and this will
>help the progress toward a true testing standard that everyone can use.
>
>Bill.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm