MPPT arrays in different directions, AEI MM inverter [RE-wrenches]

Gary Higbee, Solutions from the Land ghigbee at efn.org
Thu Mar 28 12:04:54 PST 2002

Wrenches,

Thank you so much for your valuable inputs on the issue of MPPT with arrays
in different directions. Rob of Advanced Energy has been very helpful in
working through using this array with the MM-5000, and the inverter now sits
in my living room.

Based on Rob's suggestion I plan to bring each combiner box output (by
direction) into each of the 3 input breakers of the MM. I can then do tests
to determine how the MPPT works with the full array or with various
sub-array combinations. My client wanted me to quantify (at least generally)
the expected loss, and it is surprising that nobody seems to have done this
for major differences in array orientation.

I'm nervous about using an expensive and high-profile install as a test, and
I very much hope that any power loss is small. It appears that there is no
current viable option of using multiple MPPT's with the MM (to optimize each
direction), though AEI said they'd work with me on solutions if the loss is
not small. I will publish the results of my tests to this list.

Thanks again,

Gary

           Gary Higbee  (ghigbee at efn.org)
              (541)607-1818 (Eugene)
             (541)902-8544 (Florence)
Solar, wind, and hydro site analysis and system design
    Components dealer and installation assistance
              ~Solutions from the Land~

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com