Tracker efficiencies, etc. [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Fri Mar 22 09:18:27 PST 2002

<x-flowed>
>Very interesting thread---but has anybody really had problems with
>"late wake up" Wattsun dual-axis when selecting Array-direct power
>rather than battery direct, which, I believe, requires an extra
>conductor to the battery and readjustment of the limits.A little
>more on this subject please---any latitude considerations? Thanks,
>guys.  Nick Houser,

A parallel subject - Caution when using Wattsun with some solar water pumps.

Most solar pumps use a controller which has a voltage dropping
function -- a linear current booster -- which maintains the input
voltage around the max power point. In these cases Wattsun is
generally OK, similar to array-direct power connection in a battery
system.

It will NOT work for pumps that use a pure-DC (brush type) motor with
no electronics. At low light levels, the motor will drag the array
voltage down to 0. Pumps of this type include Sunmotor Floating
Submersibles and Dankoff SunCentric. LCB on centrifugal pumps only
improves performance slightly and thus is not usually used.

Windy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm