MPPT arrays in different directions [RE-wrenches]

Eric Smiley Eric_Smiley at bcit.ca
Tue Mar 19 15:36:33 PST 2002

MPPT depends on the maximum power point voltage of the array. Since
voltage varies only slightly with irradiance, in theory it is possible
to track three arrays facing different directions without too much of a
performance loss. However, if the arrays are at different temperatures
due to different irradiance levels, MPP voltage will be different for
each array and the performance loss will be greater.

For what it's worth, the only actual field testing I've seen reporting
on this type of situtation is on the Xantrex website. The Krause system
in the Field Performance Summary Report has two arrays facing different
directions:

http://www.traceengineering.com/document_depot/technotes/960-0010-01-01.pdf

Eric Smiley - Project Leader
Photovoltaic Energy Applied Research
BCIT Technology Centre

phone: 604.432.8657    fax: 604.436.0286
esmiley at bcit.ca             www.tc.bcit.ca

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm