PV & Global Warming [RE-wrenches]

douglas bath douglas.bath at realgoods.com
Fri Mar 8 09:00:41 PST 2002

The need to pursue renewable energy options, second only to total reductions
in energy consumption, is partially illustrated by the fact that burning (or
for that matter,  oxidizing, like in a fuel cell) one gallon of petrol
results in the creation of almost 20 pounds of carbon dioxide. The math is
pretty simple to illustrate our personal responsibility for several tons of
CO2 per year. There will be an end to the petroleum age, and our children
will see it. Just because our current economy doesn't place much value on
energy (gasoline as cheap as it ever was, electricity at $.10/kw-hr or less?
Give me a break), doesn't mean we can't value it more highly. A
kilowatt-hour is 2,655,000 foot-pounds. Would you carry 100 pounds to the
top of Mt. Everest for a dime?  Energy too cheap to meter? IT ALREADY IS!
The effect of solar utility intertie is a statement of defiance to the
status quo, saying, "I don't believe in your funky economics, I believe in
me.....me and Yoko."

With sincere revolutionary fervor,
Douglas B. Bath,
Senior Technical Advisor