Anemometer Options [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Sat Feb 16 21:38:26 PST 2002

<x-flowed>

 >>From: "Chuck Heath, SunPower" <sunpwr at jps.net>
However, I agree it's not a real quality unit. Maximum, Inc. has much
better quality. Their #40 anemometer cup (Maestro) has survived 100+ mph
gusts at the top of the same tower for the same time period. They  test
their products on Mt. Washington, in New Hampshire, said to be the
windiest place in N. America with gusts sometimes over 200 mph. <<

Whenever you see a #40 cup anemometer listed somewhere, I'd be willing to
bet that it's the NRG sensor.  That's their model number, and they sell
their sensors to  many of their competitors, who then use them in their own
systems.  NRG doesn't do weather stations to my knowledge, though, only
wind monitoring.

Another company I know of that makes more pricey, high performance data
loggers,  just adopted the NRG #40 for use in one of their "lower cost"
weather station setups.  The NRG #40 is a basic workhorse sensor, better
than the consumer grade stuff but still much more reasonably priced than
the meteorological grade sensors, which go for many hundreds to a couple
thousand dollars for the sensors alone.

The #40 only does wind speed.  If you need wind direction as well, their
companion sensor is the #200.

John Raynes
RE Solar

- - - -