Repair of broken PV modules [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 12 18:24:50 PST 2002

The guy with the broken solar module took my advice, repaired the module
and was nice enough to send photos and description of the repair. His
report has a picture of the 8 gram stone that may have caused the damage
and may be a meteorite. Email me off-line if you would like the 2518KB
pdf file.

Joel Davidson wrote:

> Did this string start because you all got a Feb. 2 email from a guy who
> bought an array of MSX120 modules from Solar Depot as did I? Here's what
> I told him.
> 1. Remove the PV module from the array. Be careful not to get glass
> splinters.
> 2. Bring module indoors in a warm, dry room so it can thoroughly dry
> out.
> 3. After it is dry, carefully wipe any dirt from the glass and the
> frame.
> 4. Get a piece of 1/8 inch glass or non-yellowing plastic the size of
> the module outside dimensions to use as a cover to protect the cells and
> interconnects from the weather. Be careful handling the glass.
> 5. Put a bead of bathtub silicone caulk on the metal frame and place the
> cover on the caulk.
> 6. Let cure for at least 24 hours.
> The shattered module and new cover won't look pretty, but it should
> extend the useful life of the module.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm