battery box codes [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Tue Feb 5 18:52:55 PST 2002

Dave,

The only requirements for battery containment that I am aware of is: 1.
corrosion resistant construction, 2. Non-flammable construction and 3.
Vented.

For code issues relating to solar installations I had been referring to
the "Uniform Solar Energy Code" written by IAPMO (International
Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials.  A lot of great
information but relates more to thermal technologies than PV.  The only
thing I recall the NEC requiring is: Live parts of battery systems for
dwellings shall be guarded to prevent accidental contact by persons or
objects, regardless of voltage or battery type.  Guarded is defined in
article 100.

Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com