Repair of broken PV modules [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Mon Feb 4 11:16:00 PST 2002

Windy,

I have used Dupont Tefzel to cover a couple of cracked modules with good
results.  I repaired two 10 watt Arco modules that were cracked about 13
years ago.  Both of these modules still power 12 volt solar circulation
pumps.  3M makes an outdoor rated double sided tape that can be applied
to the back of the module frame.  We also put small aluminum strips over
the Tefzel and tape on the back of the modules to keep the covering on
the front wrinkle free.  I have seen Lexan used to replace broken glass
on DHW panels, this stuff is inexpensive, light weigh, easy to cut,
remains rigid but reflects much more sunlight than tempered leaded
glass.  I would recommend trying Tefzel.

Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm