Energy-efficient large-capacity freezers [RE-wrenches]

Paul Mueller Paul at NewEnergyResources.com
Thu Jan 31 07:40:57 PST 2002

>Wrenches,
>Any suggestions of a good efficient large-capacity electric freezer for an
>off-grid home that is less expensive than a Sun Frost?

I downloaded the CEC refrigerator database into an Excel spreadsheet,
created a column that calculated kWh/cu. ft. capacity, with the assumption
that the most efficient freezers would have the lowest kWh per cubic foot of
capacity. I then sorted this "efficiency factor" from best (23) to worst
(61) and further sorted by freezer capacity.

After analyzing the CEC refrigerator database, it looks like some possible
choices of large capacity chest freezers include many models made by
Frigidaire, who apparently manufactures them for themselves and others
including Danby, Sears Kenmore, GE, Frigidaire, etc. For example, in the
larger models they make a 25 cu. ft. chest freezer that uses 569 kWh/year, a
20 cu. ft. unit that uses 480 kWh/year., and a 15 cu. ft. unit that uses 397
kWh/year. These units appeared to have some of the best efficiency numbers
in their sizes.

So, when you or your customers go shopping for a chest freezer, look not
only at the total kWh used per year, but perhaps also at an efficiency
factor, which is calculated by dividing the annual kWh by the cubic feet of
capacity. This way you can compare models of different capacity for relative
efficiency.

Paul Mueller
New Energy Resources
Mesa, AZ 85215