trolling for Trace [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Tue Jan 29 09:32:51 PST 2002

<x-flowed>
Marco,
According to my contacts at Xantrex:

>I just came across the Jan. 24 news from our friends in Arlington
>re: the SW saga in grid-connected applications.
>
>Several questions:
>1) Is the SW with the new 4.2 software now available from Xantrex?
>And how about the GTIs?  Are they now ready to ship?
Yes, but the first production will be going to those systems "in
progress" that were left in limbo due to this whole cock-up.

>2) In order to be UL-compliant, the 4.2 SW needs to be mated to the
>GTI for utility-interactive, sell back mode, right?

Correct

>3) What about all those formerly UL-listed 4.1 software SWs out
>there?  Can the GTI be mated to those as well or will the 4.1
>versions need a new chip or need to be sent back to the factory for
>something more extensive?

Current thinking is that anything already approved will stay
approved, but that has not been universally excepted by the utilities
yet.

>4) Anybody have an idea as to the efficiency hit that the GTI
>contributes to the system's output?  According to some extensive
>monitoring data I have seen, the overall DC to AC efficiency of the
>SW in a grid-tied application (with batteries) can be as low as 60
>or less percent.  Yuck.  The last thing this design needs is another
>loss of potential power due to another piece of hardware.

No data yet, but the GTI has a transformer, so....
Best, Bob-O

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com