Fw: L-16 Battery Charging [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters remotech at taosnm.com
Mon Jan 28 13:17:27 PST 2002

Hi John

Yea, My L16s get FULLY cycled. Whats worse is that the 360 AH rating is at
20 hours. They have over 400 AH rating at 100 hour discharge rate which is
closer to our actual usage. Maybe, as per Tom's Sandia report, the L16s
aren't showing their full capacity because they're never reaching full
charge. Still, Even if they were only reaching 80%, I would expect better
than 200 AH at 100 hr rate. Or maybe I permenantly lost 50% capacity
because I was chronically undercharging. (14.4 VDC finish w/ no temp.
compensation at celltemps below 50 degrees F) This was my original and
Heliotrope reccomended setting. Then 2 years ago,I went up to about 15.1
VDC finish in the winter and I manually set back to avoid high water usage
in the summer. According to Sandia, I should be running 15.3 in the summer
and I assume something even higher in the winter.

Ray

>>  200 AH when it is
>>  rated at 360 AH? Anybody besides Tom & I seen L16s doing this?  >>
>>
>>I am finding similar capacities on my system of 8 Trojan L-16's and several
>>customers with 16 L-16's.  200 amp hours out of a 360 is about what I see.
>>My battery voltages are showing about 50% charge with only about 200 amp
>>hours down from full in a 720 ah battery.
>
>Do the batteries ever get deeply cycled?

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com