Shell buyz out Siemens [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Sat Jan 26 10:55:55 PST 2002

Allan wrote:

> Good news about Shell. I really hope they do something with the
> company. I was so excited when Siemens bought Arco Solar and was
> totally underwhelmed by the way the never integrated it into their
> corporation.

Allan,

I also have a positive feeling about Shell's acquisition of Siemens
Solar Industries.  Siemens is a world leader in the electronics and
automation field and they successfully develop and market many different
products useful for innumerable applications.  Perhaps the solar
division never proved to be profitable quickly enough for the parent
corporation.

Shell on the other hand is a company that develops and markets energy.
They are accustomed to spending large sums of money searching and
exploring for more energy to market.  I think Shell is more accustomed
to waiting longer periods between inception and realized profits with
respect to individual energy sources and markets.

Some may believe that Shell's motivation is to control and limit the
future potential of solar energy as well as keeping Green Peace at bay.
I do not share this view.  Shell has made a half billion dollar
commitment to the field of renewable energy.  Our industry needs this
type of investment and leadership and Shell demonstrates a commitment to
building a brighter future for solar technology.

Siemens Solar has some of the most knowledgeable and talented
individuals in the solar industry who truly care about the future of our
industry as well the global environment we leave to our kids.  I hope
Shell's money and management allow for an unfettered surge forward.
Hopefully a sizable amount of money will be allocated for research and
development for the next-generation of solar modules, as well as
increasing manufacturing automation to reduce the cost of products
available at this time.

I believe Shell will be a prominent and successful leader in the solar
industry for a long time.  They may prove to be so forward thinking that
they are able to supply vast amounts of reliable energy in the future
when the inevitability of a lack of fossil fuels occurs. (Hopefully it
doesn't take that long) I guess at first it seems strange having an oil
company willing to provide nuclear power to homes, but luckily the
reactor is located 93 million miles from earth.  According to the
Encyclopedia Britannica our sun is expected to remain stable for another
5 billion years, then it will become a red dwarf and burn out.

Graham Owen
GO Solar Company

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com