L-16s like higher voltages [RE-wrenches]

John Berdner jberdner at sma-america.com
Mon Jan 21 08:55:03 PST 2002

Wrenches:

All of the medium and high Antimony content batteries like higher bulk
voltages.
My rule of thumb was to bulk them up to around 14.7 (@ 12V) or so.
You can go higher but the water loss starts be a problem.
In my experience battery maintenance headaches are usually the limiting
factor.
Also, the internal losses and resulting water loss will increase by
about a factor of 10 as an Antimony battery ages.
What works when the battery is new may become a real pain in the
posterior 5 to 10 years out

I agree with Phil that finishing the battery with a fossil fueled
generator is nuts unless you have no choice.
You might want to equalize the battery with the generator but only if
the array couldn't do it because of bad weather.
Use the generator for what it is good at - making lots of power for a
short time, i.e. Bulk charging.
Use the PV array for what it is good at - small amounts of power for a
long time, i.e. Finish and equalization charging.

When I was at Pulse we were looking at having the charge controller's
automatic EQ cycle also control the generator start.
When an automatic EQ is triggered the generator should bulk charge the
battery all the way up to the EQ voltage.
Ideally this would happen early in the morning, just before sun up if
possible.
Then the array can take over, in parallel with the generator if
necessary, and have all day to finish the equalization charge.
In this way each source does what it is good at.
Sounds simple but it is hard to accomplish with lots of separate little
boxes on the wall that do not talk to each other.

A case of too many cooks spoil the broth.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

.

- - - -