Edison batteries [RE-wrenches]

Charlie Robb, Element Engineering element.eng at quista.net
Tue Jan 8 01:54:13 PST 2002

John,

Travis has covered most of it there. I thought the energy density was lower
relative to Lead Acids though? From my limited experience of a couple of
systems with old NiCads:

1) Charge at 1.5V - 1.65V per cell. If high string voltage is a problem,
remove a cell or two (e.g. 19 cells on a 24V battery)

2) Watch out for metal-cased cells rusting through from the OUTSIDE. If some
cells continually need more topping up they may be weeping from the seams,
which is particularly environment un-friendly! Good luck with trying to
dispose of bad cells...

3) On the subject of disposal, beware of cheap or free deals on used NiCads.
If you really want the cells and the liability, see if you can get the owner
to pay you to take them away!

Cheers
Charlie

Charlie Robb
Element Engineering

77 Society Road
South Queensferry
Edinburgh
EH30 9XP      UK

Tel: 0131 331 5835
Fax: 0131 331 5848
Mobile: 07887 991866

"Disclaimer:

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee and may contain
information that is confidential or privileged.  If you are not the
intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print
or rely on this e-mail.  If an addressing or transmission error has
misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this
e-mail."

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm