SB2500 Display Panel issues revisited [RE-wrenches]

Matt Lafferty pvpro at attbi.com
Mon Dec 30 19:53:16 PST 2002

Wrenches:

Peter wrote:

>Now the Homeowner feels like the inverter is not working, even if it is of
course, since he can't determine kwh for the day, etc. when this happens.
The hour count was only off by 1.  And etotal was pretty close too, so
again, i think both sides are putting out to the grid.  Would a new display
panel solve this?  Things to check?

My Penny-and-a-half:  (WARNING - Soap-Box at bottom of post!)

Multi-issues....One at a time.

First and foremost.

The most significant and unfortunate is the Homeowner's questioning the
operation of the system.  Without one of my long-winded diatribes on the
personality and intelligence characteristics of Homeowners....Hey, I'm
feeling generous today.... :-)

>From the description given, it appears that the performance and operation
are normal with the exception of the display(s).

This "simple little thing" is causing the Homeowner to have concern about
the reliability of the equipment....Wouldn't you?  The Homeowner does the
next natural thing and passes that concern on to Peter.  Now, Peter, being
the ever-diligent and responsible Contractor (with or without NABCEP
Certification..... ;-) responds with phone-call(s), probably some
long-distance, and personal visits to the site to evaluate....Getting paid
for any of that, Peter?   Way to go, by the way.  It's part of our
responsibility, but good to know someone else cares.

A little head-scratching and Customer Reassurance Activity goes on.
Customer's still not sure.  Double-edged sword....Customer found a
Contractor that responds so he expects "prompt service" because "he has a
problem".  It was his money that was spent, after all.  Well, some dutifully
paid and collected "Public Goods" money, too....I'm guessing here.... In
either case, Peter is on the hook whether or not it's his fault and whether
or not the equipment is producing power "to spec".

Now, we here on the Wrenches should know by now that SMA has stood behind
their Customers with OUTSTANDING Customer Support and Service since they got
to the States.  Heck, I think they should be sponsored for Citizenship!
Even if they aren't on "Red Neck......errrrrr Red Dog" Road any more.  Does
anybody besides me even know what a Loma Rica is?  ;-)

But Mr. Homeowner doesn't know that like we do.  Mr. Homeowner may or may
not have anything other than Peter's word to rely on.  "Red light, Green
light, Blinking Lights.......Sheeez!  I just want to read my display!"  See
where this can go?

That's one issue.

Second one:

The "hour count was only off by 1."  Wow!

While I haven't seen the Site and don't know the particulars and
relationships of the two systems, assuming they are IDENTICAL, this could be
due to the following primary possibilities:

1.  Not all PV Modules are created equally.  Whether or not they are
IDENTICAL in labeling, rating, appearance, price or what the salesguy told
you......(Talk about the 800 pound gorilla....)
2.  The system in question has been "re-commenced" or reset several times.
Each time takes approximately 7 minutes for full operation to resume....Add
it up.
3.  The display only shows the "full hours of production".....Correct me if
I'm wrong, Grass Valley Guys....In short (Did I say, "Short"?  Shame on
me!), if one inverter has produced power for 2 hours and 5 minutes, it will
display "2 Hours Total".  If the other inverter has produced power for 1
hour and 50 minutes, it will display "1 Hour Total".  While this would show
a 1 hour discrepancy, the actual time of production difference would only be
15 minutes.  (Equivalent of 2 re-starts)  Now I'm sure the boys back in
Germany could put in a "minutes / seconds" timer....but knowing what they
charge for their stuff..... lol.  You know that "Mandatory 6-Weeks per Year
Vacation" really costs in the long run!

Idea!  Let's say there is an actual 1 hour difference in production.....Give
the guy a quarter for his lost electricity and thank him for his patience!
When the RMA display gets to you, go change it, again.  (I would be
personally grateful, for my own knowledge, to know the outcome.)  Perhaps if
all of us Sunny-Boy users (Addictive, isn't it?) took up a
collection.....Why is it I'm in such a good mood today?  Sun's not shining
here....Hmmm.  Maybe I've just outgrown that "Seasonal Affected Disorder"
thing....

Item 3:

"He can't tell the e-total for the day".

It's winter.  It's not a lot, anyway.  (You know....Solar....Sun.....Short
days....)  OK, so I'm kidding somewhat, but this is a serious issue with
"new PV owners".... I've got stories to tell about lawn-chairs, park
benches, Engineers "doing their own calculations", retired people with
nothing better to do than watch that meter go backward, "Turn off all the
stuff in the house, Marge, I wanna see it do it again".....

One of the nice things about the SB's is that the memory is not stored in
the display.  Upon resolution of the display issue, which I know will
happen, the current and "accurate to an acceptable degree", information will
be displayed for the Homeowner's viewing pleasure.  (See previous post,
12/23/02)  You might want to give him a quarter for the good-will aspect.

Consideration of Issue #2 above is also relevant to this issue.  Especially
Item #1 within that issue!

Since SMA will send you the RMA (2nd time....sorry to say.  Hang in there,
Peter, it's to all of our benefit, you Martyr, you.) display promptly, it's
probably not necessary to show the Homeowner how to "switch" the working
display back and forth between inverters just before sunset every day so he
sees the E-Total....lol  Hopefully this time will be the last and your
customer's confidence will be restored.

So far, any of the display failures we've experienced have been resolved
with just a display replacement.  There hasn't been a need to send a whole
inverter back for such a problem.

Sun's still not shining... (Moon's not out yet either)

-Matt Lafferty
pvpro at attbi.com
(916) 422-9772
(916) 914-2247 Fax

OK....Soap Box Time!

What does all this mean?  What can be done to prevent these issues in the
future?

NABCEP?  (Just had to say that...)

No.  That won't do it.  Might not hurt though.  Read on.... What this and
many other experiences I've had points out to me is that we "aren't there
yet".  While nothing is perfect, in terms of equipment, process, etc.,
improvements can and should be sought.

Supportive partners in finding the ultimate answers are crucial!  We, as
individuals and companies, have a duty to be partners in seeking this
resolution.

I, for one, am strongly supportive of "production based incentives" in
trying to reach that "ultimate answer", under the following conditions:

That it is well thought out, considers the known factors and affected
parties, is responsibly and cost-effectively deployed, is admninistered and
conducted in a non-biased manner, and DOES NOT "open the door" for taxation
or other "hidden" costs and "hoops" for end-users and Contractors to bear.

This type of approach if effectively deployed, in my way of thinking, would
provide:

1.  Customer confidence (His system is working....the display is just not
doing what it's supposed to);
2.  Peter's confidence and / or lack of confidence in selecting an equipment
manufacturer will affect his choices in the future....Trickle Up Economics I
think it is called.;
3.  Justifiability of expenditures at an agency level.  (This one is
GIGANTIC, if you haven't been there.)

You see, if there were an effective plan / way to deploy such a system, a
bunch of "problems" would become "memories" eventually....I did say,
"effective".......

Pipe Dream?  I don't believe so.  There are many great minds to tap for the
answers.  Now, if only these minds could arrive at a consensus like the
"Founding Fathers" did in writing the US Constitution (They DEFINITELY did
NOT all agree on everything), nobody will "get everything they want" but,
isn't some portion of this "for the greater good"????

How do we get there from here?  Multi-fronted assault.

First of all, understanding as many of the "obstacles and relationships" as
possible is key.

Meter sockets and the standard kWH meter are cheap and the obvious
"no-brainer" (don't be lulled into thinking this is the only answer....Keep
thinking!) means of capturing production data (kWH) over time.  Well, for
smaller systems anyway.

Will the system incentive be based on "Meter 1 minus Meter 2" or just "Meter
2"?  Will the bi-directional net meters that are already installed have to
be replaced with detented or "ratched" meters?  Who pays for that, if so?
How much?  Grandfathering?  To what point?  Who's getting screwed with that
option?  Who's gonna buy the meters?  Who's gonna read them?  Who's gonna
keep the data?  When will the money be distributed?  Who is eligible to
apply for it?  What about those larger systems, anyway?  Damn I wish my
lotto ticket would turn green!  This all gives me a headache!

All good questions and all should be open for discussion and need answers.

Taxation?  Dare I say the word?  "Hidden" costs?  . . . .  I hate to
Legislate, more than any of you know, but I see no alternative within the
current "way things are done" to that option.  This, too, must be
spearheaded.  "If we don't....They will!" comes to mind.  Who will?

Who Certifies the meter accuracy?  Who proves  the accuracy (and pays for
that proof) when challenged?   Don't fool yourself.  There's a challenge at
every corner.  Not to mention the Lawyer, Doctor, Engineer, etc. that thinks
they are smarter than "The System".  A significant portion of our
"Clientele", I would argue.  Another discussion, really.....Perhaps a
Conference Call is in order....Then those lucky ones of you who haven't had
to endure my ranting and raving on the phone could experience it once and
for all....  :-)

Who replaces and pays for a faulty meter?  Who actually owns the meter?
Short-term?  Long-Term?

Who reimburses whom for "lost revenue" associated with equipment "failures",
bad design, "over-optimistic" production predictions....Careful!  You've got
Customers, CEC / Bureaucratic Agency, Utilities, Contractors, Neighbors,
Equipment Manufacturers, Salespeople, The Taxman, et cetera involved in this
one!

A whole lot of questions.  There are more....If Next Year weren't almost
here I'd keep going.  My point is that "we" haven't yet begun to effectively
"take it to the next level".  What are they doing in Germany?  Europe?  The
rest of the World?  What can we learn from them that applies here?

I have a few "proposals for consideration", I know others do, as well.  I
welcome and want answers, discussion.  I, for darned sure, don't know it
all.  This may seem like a "California Only" issue (Not the SB-2500 Display
part....) but it's not.  "As California goes, so does the rest of the
Country".  That's not the whole truth, but what happens here does affect
what happens elsewhere.  It's a blesseing and a curse, all in one.

This really is something that must be addressed for the eventual success of
PV in America, at least Grid-Tied, outside of Wisconsin, where they pay you
even if you're off-grid  ;-)  Arriving at a solution that meets "the biggest
needs other than profit" of all parties involved, is truly in all our best
interest.

You see, the ones holding the purse strings for doling out the "rebates" are
in the middle, too.  Just a different middle than us.  They don't make their
livings doing this stuff.  They just "approve or deny" payments.....That
affects US!

There are Utilities and "Energy Suppliers".   You've got your Enrons, or
used to, anyway.  The Duke Energy's.  IBEW.  OPEC.  Osama Bin Laden.  George
Dubbya and boys.  Gray Davis and cronies.  The Caspian Sea.  Some Uranium
Mine Owners and Afghani Cavedwellers.  Somewhere in there, so they tell me,
is Sadam Hussein and the Ayatollah Khomeni in bed with Omar Qadafi and
Yessir I'm Fat.  I bet somebody on the West, or is it East??? Bank has
something to do with it, too.  Behind it all is the Tri-Lateral Commission
and the Rockefellers.  Maybe even the Queen of England......OK, maybe not
the Queen, but I bet her boyfriend is involved.

With all those loud ($$$$) voices being heard, here we are, The Wrenches and
our Customers who are trying to make a living doing the right thing because
we know it works, it can work better and we believe that.... with that next
turn of the screwdriver.... The next Sunrise, if you will, they will all see
what we see....That this really is part of the answer.  That we can have
some level of harmony and efficiency without anybody getting hurt or
becoming slaves (Taxes aside....Another Topic.....Sorry, Michael).

That the World doesn't have to revolve on the axis of Oil Interests forever
(Yes, BP, Shell, Et Al, You bear some responsibility and duty here,
too....We want to support you in your positive efforts....We need your
support at the same time.  What are you willing to put up?).

We, on the ground-floor, need to take a stand....make the commitment to
ourselves and our children.....to understand the needs of all parties, to
meet the reasonable needs half-way, and to not back down from those things
we know are wrong for the sake of "sucking up the $$$ while they're there
for the sucking up".  There are no "easy answers" but there are some that
are easier than others.  One battle at a time.  One battle at a time!

Yeah, we gotta make a living.  How are we gonna make it a living for the
future?  After buydowns and rebates?

I say that, in PV here in the States, it will most effectively be
accomplished by coming to grips with and proactively dealing with the
broadest set of hurdles and obstacles possible, on a prioritized and unified
basis.  This must inevitably involve Grid-Tied PV and other source of RE
that interact with the Grid.

Breathe, Matt.  Breathe.

If you're still reading and care, I request that replies to the "SB2500
Display Panel issues" be directly replied to.

If you're still reading and care, I request that replies to the "Soap-Box"
portion of this message have a new subject line for the sake of those who
don't want to watch both....Perhaps, "Soap-Box", perhaps one of your own
choosing.  Or, as always, I'm available off-list, too.

Happy Next Year!

-Matt Lafferty
pvpro at attbi.com

- - - -