Permits, engineers [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 30 15:00:53 PST 2002

Bob Ellison wrote:
I know one engineer and his system looks worse than any that I have done..

Bob,
I could say the same for many "solar experts".   I have been called in to
inspect many disaster pv systems to correct code issues and make them
actually work, and many were installed by a so called solar installer.

One system I was asked to correct was a large system installed in New
Jersey, that was installed by a solar crew that came all the way from
California!!  What a mess.  I could easily say California solar installers
don't know what they are doing based on my experience, if I used your one
example yardstick!

The bottom line is, solar pv system installation is not rocket science, but
it does require some training that is not covered very well in any other
education program.  There will always be electricians, engineers,
contractors, and professors installing their own pv systems who know just
enough to be dangerous. However,  you must look at the individual and their
specific experience and training. They all may hold a license, but they may
not know what to do with it!

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com