NABCEP [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 22 18:20:36 PST 2002

I don't think PV is a Republican vs. Democrat thing or a liberal vs.
conservative thing. At least I hope it isn't.

In 1941 Franklin D. Roosevelt said, "There are usually two general schools of
political belief, liberal and conservative." He went on to say that liberals
understand that "as new conditions and problems arise beyond the power of men
and women to meet as individuals, it becomes the duty of the government itself
to find new remedies with which to meet them." He said conservatives believed
"that there is no necessity for the government to step in." Before the Great
Depression, "liberal" and "conservative" were rarely used to describe political
ideology. "Individualists" pitted themselves against "paternalists" or
"radicals" against "progressives."

What does this have to do with NABCEP? Times and issues change but the political
hot-buttons that NABCEP hits are deep within us. I think the hot-buttons are
biologically hardwired, but even if they are not genetic, our hot-buttons are
formed and re-formed and punched and pushed from infancy at home, in school, in
our social interactions, in the workplace and in the media.

Whether you are liberal or conservative, a little introspection now and then is
a good thing. Ask yourself two questions. Is NABCEP good for me? Is NABCEP good
for the people around me?

Best of success to you all in 2003.
Joel Davidson

matthew tritt wrote:

> Joel & Jeff,
>
> When my Alt. Energy shop was in Santa Ynez Valley, from 82 through 84, one
> of Ronnie's aids called to see about putting a wind turbine up at Rancho
> Cielo, the "Western Whitehouse". Pretty funny, considering how hard they
> were working to eliminate our tax credits! I told him that we'd be happy to
> do a site analysis (including a wind study) for X dollars and 12 months wind
> monitoring, at which point he must have figured I was a spy for the Evil
> Empire. Or, my mentioning that I had done a 15 kW turbine for Jane and Tom
> Hayden might have had something to do with it. Do you suppose? :-)
>
> You would be amazed, however, at how many Republicans there were scrambling
> to sign-up for wind turbine ownership during that period. They wanted those
> turbines up every bit as much as us wacko enviro-Nazis did, just for a
> different reason.
>
> Matt

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com