NABCEP [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 21 08:26:01 PST 2002

Graham,

We all know that contractors screw up even though the Contractors State
License Board clearly states: "...merely holding a contractor's license
does not make for a successful contractor. You must be skilled in the
chosen craft and diligent in business affairs-one or the other is not
good enough! You (and your employees) must be willing and able to
perform to acceptable trade standards and according to plans and
specifications. To survive in an increasingly competitive market, you
must also fulfill your duties and responsibilities as a licensed and
regulated business in California."

We also know that PV professionals are very concerned about screw ups.
Just this week a PV contractor told me that he fixed a system that had
several problems (ungrounded array, missing safety disconnects, etc.)
yet had passed inspection. The owner is taking the installer to small
claims court to recoup the money spent fixing the system. That's the way
the contracting game works.

The next day, a contractor's worker installing his first Sunny Boy
residential PV system called to ask he could use Romex for module
interconnects. I told him that the interconnects are going to be in a
hot, wet location so he has to use the right wire for the job and haa a
few good choices, but Romex is not one of them. That's the way the
teaching game works.

I've had it up to here with people who want more rules. There are
already too many of rules, laws, ordinances, etc. If you see PV
installers screwing up, then deal with it. Teach them how to do it right
or report them to State License Board.

NABCEP supporters say certification is a good thing. NABCEP opponents
generally agree that mandatory certification is a bad thing. I hate more
rules, but look forward to reading the study guide and sample Q&As.

Happy holidays.
Joel Davidson

Graham Owen wrote:

Bill , Joel and All,

I believe the CAL SEIA position is well thought out and appropriate,
especially considering there are no NABCEP certified installers, yet.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com