NABCEP [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 19 06:53:38 PST 2002

Travis said:

"If NABEC gets their way, the only was this money is going to get dispersed
is through "certified" installations which is going to leave most of the
little guys out."

I agree.   I have obtained endless "certifications" over the years in energy
related areas as different Federal programs came into existence including:
Certified Green Lights Auditor, Certified Demand Side Manager, Certified
Energy Manager, Certified Co-Generation Manager, Certified State Energy
Auditor,  and endless "Certified" training courses from many equipment
manufacturers.

As Travis stated, all of these certifications required several days to
attend out of state training classes at our own expense, and almost nobody
fails the tests after two days of "teaching to the test" refresher classes.

Every one of these "Certifications" was required at their time to
participate in some government "subsidy of the day", but almost all non
government clients could care less or even knew there was any kind of
certification program.  They are only interested in price, and maybe a few
higher end buyers wanted to check references.

Also, how does the NABCEP handle solar thermal?  Since the certification
name does not include "PV" what would keep a plumber with no electrical
experience from wanting to join since they install lots of solar DHW
systems?  I have pointed out in past posts that there already is a National
Association of Energy Professionals" that offers endless training and
certification programs related to energy conservation and energy reduction
technicians.

I think in the end, most "packaged" grid tied systems will be installed by
local installers who have been trained and "certified" by the manufacturer
of the solar equipment they sell, installing basic pre-designed and sized
packages requiring no thinking on their part.  I think all large systems
will be designed by electrical engineers, and installed by licensed
electricians following detailed (and correct!)engineered drawings.

This is how all other complex electrical systems from high rise elevators,
to computer rooms, hospital life safety systems, building automation
systems, university research labs, airport instrument landing systems, major
communication systems, and on and on and on.  What makes us think solar pv
is any more complex to design and install than these systems, yet these
systems have somehow managed to get built without a national board.

Our industry is young and experiencing growing pains, but the installer
problem will get sorted out, and perhaps without another framed
certification hanging on the wall.

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com