Wind Maps for California [RE-wrenches]

David Blittersdorf davidb at nrgsystems.com
Wed Dec 18 09:02:55 PST 2002

Just so that you all know, the weather station sites you may see around you on very
short towers 3-10 meters are NOT used by the wind energy industry. If used, they are
very carefully looked at for exposure to prevailing winds. NRG's #1 selling wind energy
measurement system is 50 m (165') tall. These maps use higher tower data sources
are are checked against all the available wind energy data.

There is a big difference in general weather measurement vs wind energy
measurement. Our company ONLY makes wind energy measurement equipment which
is designed specifically for accuracy at high wind speeds, reliability and reasonable
cost.

Regards,

David  Blittersdorf

On 18 Dec 2002 at 8:41, Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection wrote:

> Amigos,
> IMO, the whole program of taking wind data readings from a 10m tower
> and extrapolating it for higher (but not actually recorded) tower
> heights is hopelessly flawed.
> As David points out, there is still some turbulence at 10m even where
> the measurement site is ideally situated. In reality, the data sites
> are rarely so situated. I can show y'all pictures of all five of the
> wind data sites here in Siskiyou county. One, maybe two give
> semi-accurate data. the others are in the trees, right next to the
> freeway where turbulence from trucks affect them, on and on. If your
> 10m data is flawed, then any mathematical extrapolation from that
> data is bogus. Garbage in, garbage out.
> Bob-O
>
> >Yes, the wind increases with height above the ground. These are
> >estimates of the
> >windspeeds based on the assumed wind shear that is expected. I
> >consider 30m to be
> >the minimum height for good wind energy. Wind turbines mounted at
> >10m generally do
> >not work and if they do have very low energy production and much
> >shorter life due to
> >turbulence.
>
> --
> Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection