Uni-Solar & Class A fire rating [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Mon Dec 9 10:42:09 PST 2002

Peter,

No problems so far. The fire rating issue hasn't reared it's ugly head yet,
but I contacted the distributor on this issue. They're getting back to me
later today, but, yes; the PVL also has a C rating. Class C is accepted
throughout the state (except San Diego for some reason). It's my
understanding that it isn't combustible, but will smolder if something big
and burning sits on it for a long enough time. Logically (if logic is
important in this issue) the roof sheathing (plywood and tar paper) would
get just as hot if there were a burning Molotov cocktail directly on the
metal roofing as with a 1/8th " layer of PVL intervening. The PVL might
retain heat a trifle longer because of it's greater mass/heat retention? I'm
not sure about the gooey stick-um layer underneath, but don't all composite
fiberglass shingles consist largely of tar??? Surely the PVLs have far less
potential for sustaining a fire than composition shingles.

Matt