Uni-Solar & Class A fire rating [RE-wrenches]

asap at podnine.com asap at podnine.com
Mon Dec 9 00:25:59 PST 2002

Although it may require you to educate the inspectors I bet PVL could get
done and permitted in San Diego County.  If you or anyone needs backup from
City of Oceanside or City of Santa Ana inspectors for shingles on plywood
substrates, let me know.

The SHR-17's UL gives the product a thumbs up as solar electric product and
as a Guide TFWZ "listed prepared roofing material" with Class C rating,
true.  I believe the SHR's have the itinerant ICBO ratings too...   But it
did come up and was called for and that UL was good enough for their
concerns on plywood/roofing paper substrate--they had more problems with
penetrations and wire collation afterwards.   I haven't seen the PVL's
actual UL...maybe it does say Class A?  What makes something Class C again?

For the PVL laminates on metal roofs:  CHALLENGE.  EDUCATE.

Matt T.?  PVL's anyone?  Any problems permitting UniSolar PVL's over
listings?

There's 211kW that I know of riding on that SD county interpretation, I
assume this was the new guy at County.  The old main dude went up to San
Marcos.  Maybe some form of punishment.

Peter
ASAP POWER!

**********
Mo,

On the installations we do here in Northern Calif. the metal roof
achieves a Class A fire rating by using a special underlayment
beneath the metal roof. I could check with my roofer and get the
specific info if anyone is interested.

David Henry
***********
>According to the head inspector in San Diego County, any Uni-Solar shingle
>or laminate for metal roofs will not be permitted for installation.  It is
>because they require Class A fire code materials and Uni-Solar has only a
>Class C rating.
>
>If this is the case, combined with lower efficiencies and so on, its no
>wonder that there is slow adoption of these types of products.
>
>--
>Mo Rousso

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com