Small Wind Turbines Towers [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Fri Dec 6 11:03:45 PST 2002

Did anyone catch the Towers/Bird Kill story on NPR just this morning, if not
it probably will air again on this evenings news.

What I took away from the story was this "lighted towers kill lots of birds
in certain low visibility conditions".  I hadn't had my coffee yet so don't
quote me on any of this.  Heck it might not have even been on NPR.  Blame it
on CRS and all that...  They gave several documented instances where over
10,000 birds died in each occurrence.  One in KS and one in WI.  Something
to do with the light making the water droplets all glow.  It sounded like
the X-Files.  Birds would become so severely disoriented by lighted towers
that they would fly so hard into the ground they would impale themselves on
wheat stubble.  Suggestions by the story; don't light towers or turn the
lights off in low visibility conditions.  That's right, turn the lights off
in low vis conditions.  I guess low flying planes and helicopters crashing
aren't a problem.

Another wind turbine related issue:  The Audubon Society is fighting wind
turbine development in the Flint Hills of Eastern KS.  Turns out the Prairie
Chicken won't reproduce if can see any man made structures whilst it is
copulating.

Travis Creswell

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm