Bird kills [RE-wrenches]

Lawrence Elliott larry at energyoutfitters.com
Fri Dec 6 06:38:56 PST 2002

Okay guy's. Try this one on for size.

I have a Bergey 1500 on an 80 foot guyed tower.
Just over the hill from me is the largest bald eagle nesting grounds in
the lower 48. It is a virtual flyway for thousands of endangered and not
endangered birds.
In four and one half years of operation of this high speed "Popeel Meat
Grinder and Slice and Dice I have seen exactly zero birds at the base.
Yet I regularly get at least one bird kill per month on the fairly small
window to the south of my home.
So I should tear out the window or the turbine?
I will say though that about a year ago I had a
sh.................eating grin on my face as the local utility service
crew tried to get service back to my neighbors (who by the way were
without power as I watched a video) who lost it due to a large Blue
Heron who became a Pop Tart  because of the large wing span on the three
phase high line out along the river.
About three months later I was designing a backup for Tom the lineman.

Wind turbines kill birds?

I say bullshit.
I say that is just a "red herring" like so much else we have to deal
with from left and right and others living happily inside the cozy box
they have contructed for their minds.

See Michael I did not once mention the dreaded FC or H word ;-)

Larry Elliott

> Perhaps, those who are concerned about wind re killing birds, should
turn their attention to the dead oil soaked birds on the coast of Spain
and Portugal. Smitty.

> Joel Davidson wrote:
>
> > Wind Wrenches only,
> > I haven't had a wind machine since 1978, but more birds bounced off
my mountain home picture window than ever landed on my tower. I never
met a person who actually saw a dead bird at the base of a wind machine.
How many dead birds at the base of wind machines have you guys actually
seen? Where? What species?
> > Best regards,
> > Joel Davidson
> > "A bird in the hand makes blowing your nose difficult."

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com