NABCEP & Training [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Wed Nov 27 09:55:33 PST 2002

I hope this is nut and bolts enough to post here.  I spent some time
seeking legal advice on how NABCEP will affect me, as well as the great
people on the board.

In this crazy litigious state of California I was wondering if the
certifiers of installers (NABCEP) could be included as a group and board
members as individuals in a lawsuit if a certified practitioners project
resulted in property damage.  I was informed that since NABCEP wont
inspect each job they are not responsible, unless it can be demonstrated
that the testing is not stringent enough to keep substandard installers
from becoming certified.  The test has to be rigorous, thorough and
meticulous.

I know there has been a lot of interest in the number and percentage of
union members on the board.  This may prove to be less significant than
the number and percentage of union members who become certified.  How
will NABCEP be funded?  Most likely by dues, and the future direction of
NABCEP may be held hostage to a sizable block of organized due payers?

Does anyone anticipate how much certified installers will have to pay
annually in dues?  I pay $350 a year for my CALSIEA membership, $350.00
per year for the California League of Homeowners certification, $350
every fours years for my California contracting certification.  $350.00
seems to be a magic number for some reason.

Just a few thoughts,

Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com