BP Solar Closes Thin Film Operations [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 25 11:30:43 PST 2002

Since I live  about 40 miles from the BP plant in Virginia that is
closing, let my provide some background that was not in the news.

This was a new plant from the ground up including building, machinery,
everything.  They had this about as automated as you can get, with
computer controlled glass plating line, laser cell etching, etc.  The
only manual operation I saw was attaching the wiring leads to the
back.

Virginia offered lots of tax and business incentives to get Solorex
(BP) them to move here in the first place as several states were in
the competition.  Virginia also funded a program with about $4.00/watt
buy down for all large in state commercial and institutional sales.

What nobody has mentioned yet, is what about all the lost tax revenue
that they benefited from and then packed up and left town?  There were
a lot of dedicated employees here that were really trying to make it a
go.  My guess is somebody will soon realize Virginia got the short end
of the stick and will try to recover some of these losses.

Jeff Yago
Richmond Virginia

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com