NABCEP Update [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Wed Nov 20 08:15:50 PST 2002

<x-flowed>
Jeff,
Good thoughts. I'll take a look at that site when I have some time.
Early on (way before me) NABCEP got involved with the Institute for
Sustainable Power (ISP). ISP is an organization which was formed to
set up training and testing of PV Wrenches in third world countries.
The way I understand it-and I could have it balled up some, the World
Bank, who was funding these projects, realized that the failure rate
was pretty dismal. To protect their (our) investment, they decided to
fund ISP to train locals to install and maintain the systems. Worked
pretty good. NABCEP is drawing on the applicable parts of that
program for US certification. We'll look to see if there is anything
to be gleaned from CEM as well. At this point, the primary focus is
certification of existing Wrenches. Will training become part of the
picture on down the road? Why not?
Thanks for the tip.
Bob-O

>I would like to point out that there are other options in this debate.  I am
>a certified energy manager (CEM) which is a program administered under the
>Association of Energy Engineers in Atlanta. The CEM provides energy
>reduction studies and building inspections for commercial and institutional
>facilities, and if you want to do contracts with any government agency (hint
>hint larger systems) in this field, you better be CEM certified.
>
>They also have a Demand side manager (DSM) certification which is for people
>who deal with kW load reduction studies and related projects, and another
>certification for those working in the co-generation field, and another for
>lighting professionals.
>
>All of their certification programs relate in some way to energy
>conservation, all require an extensive two day review/test which are given
>in different cities throughout the year, all require written qualification
>and work references which are actually checked, all require some level of
>education and experience in the field, and all require continued education
>credits to keep the certification active.  They sponsor many different one
>and two day training schools which are held all over the United States
>throughout the year, and support local "chapters" in most states who also
>sponsor local educational programs.
>
>I use them only as an example, but I feel instead of "re-inventing the
>wheel" to form an un-known solar trade association from the ground up, why
>not work with an existing professional association that is already known
>worldwide in the energy conservation field.  I am sure they would be very
>interested in helping develop another "arm" of their energy certification
>programs, and you would benefit from their very extensive knowledge base and
>training related to reducing your clients electrical loads to obtain much
>higher solar system performance.
>
>If any interest, check out their web site --->
>http://www.aeecenter.org/certification/
>
>Just a thought...........
>
>Jeff Yago

- - - -