Ground fault [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Fri Nov 15 23:12:09 PST 2002

Matt:

You've never installed a PV array on the roof of a house or (installed a
battery less grid tie inverter)?

	690.5 Ground-Fault Protection.
	Roof-mounted dc photovoltaic arrays located on dwellings shall be
	provided with dc ground-fault protection to reduce fire hazards.

William

At 05:37 PM 11/15/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Christopher,
>
>Your comments suggest that nothing will prevent some problems from
occurring, if GFIs and fusing aren't able to provide protection. In over 20
years of installing battery-based power systems, I've never installed a GF
protection device at the PV or battery primary wiring, seen one installed
by anyone else, or seen any damage as a result of not installing one. Not
to say it isn't possible (as evidenced by William Millers problem system)
but for this occurrence to trigger mass installations of ground fault
protectors, which are problematic in themselves, seems a little on the
reactionary side, nes pas?

>If this issue is so all-fired important, why not include ground fault
protection in and for ALL DC control and conversion devices as standard,
from the factory? Hmmmmm?---

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
http://millerpowerandcomm.com
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com