Ground faults / NEC changes for 2005 [RE-wrenches]

jberdner at sma-america.com jberdner at sma-america.com
Fri Nov 15 06:12:01 PST 2002

Wrenches:

Fuses or breakers can be used in both battery conductors if the system
is not grounded.
Then Code says over current protection must be used in all ungrounded
conductors. This means you would have  over current protection in all
current carrying conductors.
Today the Code says we can not use breakers, fuses, or switches in the
grounded conductor so ground faults are a real hazard.

There is some language about this in the proposed NEC changes for 2005.
An ungrounded the system does add some costs for OC protection but it
allows us to use other power conversion topologies that are safer, lower
cost, and higher performance.

If you can find a few minutes please review the proposed changes for the
2005 code and forward letters of support for ungrounded systems to Ward
Bower at Sandia.

If you have any questions, or if I can be of any further assistance,
please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

SMA America, Inc.