NABCEP Call for comments [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Thu Oct 24 22:14:44 PDT 2002

Jeff W. and others:

First of all, thanks for the spirited discussion on the subject.

Secondly, I am totally ignorant on licensing law in other states, so my
apologies if I have drawn incorrect conclusions about the status in other
states.

Just as we have all seen shoddy work by contractors, there can be good work
done by unlicensed contractors.  This may all be mute   for Jeff Wolfe as I
understand licensing or permitting may not be required in some of the
jurisdictions in which you work.

Also, one does not have to pull romex for 4 years to get a ticket.  One can
perform solar electric work for 4 years if one can find the position.  Or
industrial and commercial, for that mater.

I did research CA contractors law for the few minutes I could spare this
evening.  There is a provision for a company to hire a person with a
license to act as a "responsible managing individual."  You could hire
someone with a license and your company is considered licensed.

A possible extension of this is after four years, you could count the time
working with the responsible managing individual and sit for the test.  The
responsible managing individual would need to sign your work declarations,
so you would want to make this a provision of employment.  This last is
conjecture on my part, but worth looking into.

It is also possible that you could count work done with licensed
electricians contracted by you towards work experience.  Check this out.
Also, some states have amnesty periods where work done without a license,
if properly documented, could apply towards your ticket.

Lastly, I apologize if I appear rabid on this issue.  My emotions are
running high in this because just this week I worked on an off grid
installation that was sh**.  Two local installers have taken advantage of a
little old lady living in the country.  The system had wires and splices
hanging in mid air, going through sheet metal without conduit or sleaving,
you name it.  Then one of the installers helpers came back and did more
work shoddy behind the bosses back!  These locals took good money from this
woman for unsafe work, and that makes me angry.  The client is elderly, on
a fixed income, miles from a fire station and probably has minimal
insurance.  A fire is a real possibility here.  This is just one reason why
I feel so strongly on this issue.

Sincerely,

William Miller

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
http://millerpowerandcomm.com
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com