NABCEP Call for comments [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Thu Oct 24 21:53:36 PDT 2002

Wow, this is a fascinating thread.  I want to briefly mention a couple
of thoughts with respect to the NABCEP Requirements Draft, which I will
paste below:

6.  Maintaining Certification

Certification is valid for three (3) years from the date of issuance. To
maintain certification, the certified practitioner must document the
following:

6.1	Completion of an average of one (1) qualifying PV system per
year installed by the candidate over a period of three (3) years (=3
systems total).  Evidence of permits and inspection certificates will be
required.

I am wondering what a “qualified PV system” is?  And why a previously
certified NABCEP installer would still be regarded as a “candidate”.
Would we always only be continuing NABCEP candidates?

What about competent installers who work in parts of the country where
permits and inspections are not required?

If  “qualified system” means grid-tie, what about the guys who live in
parts of the country where most of the work is stand-alone?  About a
week ago I had the great pleasure of spending time with Dan Whigam of
South Carolina Solar, who was visiting L.A.  I was extremely impressed
with his knowledge and it was very refreshing being around someone with
his experience.  With that said, most of his work is not grid-tied and
if people like Dan are somehow deemed unqualified, NABCEP requirements
need a little more revision.

Certifying RE installers on a national scale is obviously a challenge.
I want to quickly focus on California now.  A great deal of work has
been done to improve the C46 “solar” contractors license to include
current and relevant testing of the knowledge and skills required of
California’s Solar Contractors.  This includes substantive PV testing
which will not be included into the C10 test for at least two more
years.  There are thousands of licensed C10 contractors in California
and less than 180 active C46’s.  I have had many customers choose me
because I have a “solar contractors” license.  When I took the test it
was mostly solar thermal, but this has changed.  I truly believe an RE
installer would be able to provide the best solar solution for their
customer by knowing both PV and thermal and using this combined
knowledge to determine the most advantageous solution.  I can honestly
say that anyone who passes the new C46 exam is qualified.

I still don’t know if NABCEP is the best solution because there are
compelling arguments for both sides.  I do know that I need a break and
will be spending next week fly fishing with Mo Rousso in up state New
York.

One last note:  I was studying electronics in college when I moved to
California to get into the booming 1980’s solar market.  I remember
being surprised that it was plumbing not electrical.  I really didn’t
care, it was solar power and that was cool.  I have also learned a great
deal from this forum and made new friends as well.  Thanks Michael.

Graham Owen
GO Solar

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com