NABCEP Call for comments [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Wed Oct 23 16:21:51 PDT 2002

Photovolactics? Oh my... maybe he got it confused with prophylactics.

I think we are seeing the writing on the wall here and need for some kind of
certification. I have seen general contractors do horrible electrical wiring
in CA. I think only licensed electricians should be the minimum standard for
ANY electrical work, and then maybe an additional certification for PV. I
hate more hoops to jump through like everyone, but I would hate to see bad
installs shoot us in the foot.

Todd

Graham Owen wrote:

> Bill,
>
> I am afraid you are right.  Last week I drove to my local distributor in
> L.A. and actually had to wait in line.  There were three trucks in front
> of me waiting to load up PV equipment.  One of the guy's was a landscape
> contractor, about to do his first installation, and he pronounced PV as
> photovolactics.  He knew absolutely nothing about PV systems except that
> one of his customers wants one.  One of the other trucks was driven by a
> middle eastern guy who spoke broken English and didn’t understand what
> rafters were.  The truck was covered with signage mentioning "free
> electricity - no more electric bills - cost effective".
>
> I have noticed that the L.A. building inspectors have had more PV
> training and know what to look out for.  The first thing they do is go
> on the roof and make sure each individual module is grounded.  I think
> some of the hatchet installers will have a hard time getting shoddy
> systems past final inspection.  If the system doesn't pass the rebates
> will not be forthcoming.  I think thoroughly training building
> inspectors may prove to be the most effective way to ensure all
> installations are high quality.  Should inspectors be able to refuse to
> pass installations which have modules in series facing different
> orientations?  This is the most common design flaw that I am noticing.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com