outback inverters [RE-wrenches]

Rob Harlan mendosol at mcn.org
Sun Oct 20 21:30:02 PDT 2002

It is pretty clear that the FX2000 inverters are well designed.  They are in
a sealed housing which should eliminate a large chunk of problems that both
the SW and ST/STXR seem to have (dust, bugs, mice, slugs, etc).  The
inverter is designed to be easily diagnosed and repaired in the field by
"technicians" (that be us) with on-board diagnostic LEDs and "reasonably
priced", easily replaceable boards.  This should mean less hernias and
significantly reduced equipment down time. It is also gratifying to see that
they appear to be overbuilt in many ways.

What is missing (besides some color) as I see it, is a full five year
warranty. This issue goes way beyond the CEC Buydown program warranty
requirements that we installers sometimes get caught in the middle of.  The
solar industry needs manufacturers that are willing to make consistent,
reliable, durable equipment and fully back up their products.

SMA America and Advanced Energy have set an industry standard with five year
warranties on their inverters. These are  included with the initial purchase
price. In the name of solidifying the industry I hope Outback can follow
suit.

Other thoughts?

Rob Harlan
Mendocino Solar Service