Quandary(was Help needed in Tuolumne County) [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Fri Oct 4 08:50:33 PDT 2002

Friends:

The analogy below is not entirely accurate.  The problem situation occurs
when the client has a messed up system and won't admit it.  A conscientious
wrench would have a strong desire to repair all aspects of the system that
were substandard.  Many clients don't want to spend good money to have bad
work by another wrench repaired, so they will not authorize necessary
repairs.  But if you repair only some of the problems, you become
associated with the whole system, and that's not good.

This reminds me of the discussion here a few months ago about the off grid
school.  They had a mis-wired system causing neutral over currents.  I
suggested, in writing, several times that this be repaired.  The
superintendent refused.  I told them I could no longer work with them until
this was addressed.  I brought this dilemma to this forum and many of you
agreed with this approach.  Now if some other wrench comes along and
doesn't recognize the problem, or fails to be firm on the repair, they are
enabling the superintendent in his unwise, unsafe decision.

This is why good design, good workmanship and adherence to the NEC are so
important.  It appears that, with the growth of the industry,  we are
seeing more shoddy work.  This is a problem, and we need to police ourselves.

To complete the analogy below, if the first wrench messed up your car so
bad it needs major repair, you sue him and report him to the Department of
Consumer Affairs!

William Miller

At 10:39 PM 10/3/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Jeez-O-Pete. I can't see why there's such a problem with helping people out.
>You take your car to the garage, the wrench does the fix, and you drive it
>home.

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
http://millerpowerandcomm.com
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com