It's payback time again [RE-wrenches]

Lawrence Elliott larry at energyoutfitters.com
Tue Oct 1 09:12:31 PDT 2002

> Shades of our "PV as an investment" dialogue last year!
>
> Have you all seen this San Francisco Chronicle newspaper article that
> Tor Allen posted on his Solar E-Clips?

Joel and all!

As I read the article one thing seemed to stand out clearly. In his
mathematical calculation of payback he stated that it would take a %57
increase in production to be economically viable.
If we were to take his critisism to heart and discontinue using PV , how
does he ever expect us to have the incentive to research the doubling of
PV  efficiency. Unfortunately I did find overtones in the article that
are quite similar to illogical criticism I hear regarding fuel cells and
hydrogen.
How silly these "experts".

Also just based on dollars and cents versus payback has he ever once
looked at the total hidden costs (read that as taxes to subsidize)
related to nuclear power plants.

And in regard to the comment on our atmosphere!
I attended a lecture where a climatologist described our total bio-
sphere (the breathable part of the atmophere) as being very very thin.
He draped a piece of clear plastic wrap over a world globe and said that
that represented the total thickness of our bioshphere versus the
diameter of the earth.
I must say something clicked in regard to the global warming argument.

Larry Elliott

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm