Lightning damage to SW inverters [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 22 20:38:43 PDT 2002

We had the same problem until we changed our install process. We no longer
use the chassis ground on any of the Trace/Xantrex inverters, and we have
had
no more problems with lightning strikes taking out inverters. I know this is
against code but it seems to work.

ANSWER - Two of the inverters installed by others that were fried did not
have the inverter ground connected, and the C-40's were not damaged.  My
point is that it does not seem to make any difference if it is grounded or
not, or has lightning arresters or not.  The repair station I send them to
said they are currently "swamped" with lightning damaged SW inverters.

I've had some really
bad ones, and have never went beyond about $500.  Maybe you are sending them
to the wrong repairman?

ANSWER - We send them to an authorized Trace repair station in New Jersey.
They were the only ones that would even return my calls as the others were
"too busy".

I think there is more here than first appears.

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm