Onan 3.6kw 120vac generator. [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Mon Sep 16 16:38:48 PDT 2002

John and list,

I am curious how you got Onan to sell you a generator? I have been working with
a local customer that wanted to buy the Onan Emerald ~5 kW unit (propane) and
they said they would not sell it to him unless it was going into an RV... they
even said they needed to see the RV license and registration info before they
would sell it to him to make sure he wasn't just saying it was going in an RV to
be able to buy it.

This all surprised the heck out of me! Evidently they (Onan) said it had
something to do with pollution standards although I didn't know generator
manufacturers were required to enforce any kind of pollution control on their
gear... has anyone else heard about this or encountered a similar thing?

Todd

"John Blittersdorf, Cent. VT Solar & Wind" wrote:

>   I just installed an SW4024 system with 8 L16 batteries and an Onan 3.6kw
> generator.  It will only produce 10-12 amps AC input charging the new
> batteries.  Anyone know what might be wrong other than the generator has a
> weak output (I have seen that before with some cheap junk generators)  Power
> in is 122VAC and 60 Hz.  It just won't load even at  30 amp AC input and
> battery charging settings on the Trace.  I thought about switching the
> transfer switch and getting some loads on in the house to test the generator
> directly but we can't come close to 12 amps AC with everything in the house
> turned on.  I guess I better start carrying portable electric heaters in my
> tool bag for testing purposes!.  Any ideas?
>
> John Blittersdorf
> Central Vermont Solar and WInd

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com