DC-GFP/2 protection [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Thu Aug 22 21:57:37 PDT 2002

Ray et all,
I just have to chip in a few cents worth on this one too!

Coming from the "old school" of solar guys and also coming from the
wonderful world of boat and yacht DC, I was taught that you never-ever
connect the AC (shore power) and DC neutrals together. Period.
The reasons for this are a little different than (maybe) what we're talking
about with land-based systems, and have to do more with potential for
electrolysis than lightning. Neither AC nor DC is "grounded" to water to
prevent unwanted current flow and the resulting damage it can cause. But,
the rigging (see solar array and turbine tower) is always grounded to water
to shunt lightning strikes away from the electrics (and people).

I would call this a genuine floating neutral. (Yee-haw)

But seriously folks, why don't we do what the rest of the world does in
regards to the bonding issue?

Matt

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com