ETA/ PV direct [RE-wrenches]

nelsonassc at aol.com nelsonassc at aol.com
Thu Aug 22 14:52:57 PDT 2002

Allen and all,
Here's my 2 cents worth on the ETA pump system. We installed a livestock
watering system, on a remote ranch, the beginning of June 2002. Upon  initial
startup the system worked correctly.  Within a week the rancher called me and
told me the pump was no longer producing water. When we went to the well site
and completed the testing outlined in the manual we found the AC side of the
controller had failed. I called Dankoff at the pump site and, after some
discussion with the Dankoff crew, including Windy, a new controller was
shipped out. A new controller was received and installed within two days. The
ETA pump system has been working flawlessly since the new controller was
installed. This ETA pump has a very low serial number and was sized under the
original sizing sheet. The pumps maximum output was sized for 5.3 gal. per
minute, however I've never seen more than 4.5 gallons per minute, in full
sun, with a tracker. To their credit the guys at Dankoff have revised their
sizing sheet. There is only one quirk that really "toasted" me at the well
site. The controller has a  bizarre screw terminal angle that requires the
screwdriver to be at such an angle as to almost be impossible to tighten the
terminal screws that you can barely get the appropriately sized wire into.
The solution: when I installed the second controller I removed the control
board from the control box (four screws), added 4 in. jumpers of the
appropriate wire to the screw terminals, put the control board back in the
control box, and wire nutted the system wires to the jumpers.

Sincerely,

Dave Nelson
Wyoming Solar Distributors
1215 S. 5th St.