generator question [RE-wrenches]

Nick Houser offgrid at prcn.org
Sun Aug 18 09:06:53 PDT 2002

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services wrote:
> I have a customer looking for a backup generator to feed a SW4024
> running an off grid (solar / micro hydro) system. He wants a propane
> unit and has looked at Onan, Kohler and Honda's. He checked with the
> local electrical house in town and they recommend (what they sell)
> Generac units. What do list members suggest when looking for a generator
> that will run off of propane and see relatively little use?
>
> Do any generators allow for 120 volt winding paralleling, or do you have
> to run them unbalanced or add a 240 to 120 transformer... and how
> important is it to do that?
>
> Thanks in advance for the suggestions and information.
>
> Todd Cory

NIck Houser--Off Grid Power    Todd------The nice thing about Kohlers in
this application is they come standard with 2-wire remote start
capability, what you want. You can also get 120VAC output @ full rating.
I suggest staying with the liquid cooled, 1800 RPM models, as the air
cooled 3600 RPM ones have very short service lives (on the order of 1500
hours or so!) For this reason, I always try to convince my customers to
go diesel instead. Ir IS important to avoid unbalancing the genset by
SW4024 you need at least 6KW from the generator, a huge one if it's
wired for 120/240 VAC, unless it has the voltage selector switch, like
some of the Hondas. Contact me offlist for further discussion if you
want.  Nick Houser, Off Grid Power

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm