AquaStar 125 BS [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 8 05:24:49 PDT 2002

I really like using tankless instant water heaters with a solar DHW heating
system.  We did many solar DHW systems back in the early 1970's (yes, solar
existed before the 1980's!).  After metering several of the different
designs, we found the biggest problem was in most residential applications
with a typical 60 to 80 gallon solar pre-heat storage tank "feeding" a
standard gas or electric 30 to 40 gallon residential DHW heater to provide
any makeup if the pre-heat temperature was below setpoint.

Except for filling  a bathtub, what usually happens is the homeowner uses 2
to 5 gallons of hot water to wash something or in food preparation, then
shuts off the faucet, and does not use any more hot water for several hours.
This water flows from the backup gas or electric tank (usually poorly
insulated), and the same amount of solar hot water moves over from the solar
storage tank to replace what was used.  If you don't use any more water for
several hours, this solar heated water starts to cool as the tank looses
heat and usually ends up being reheated by gas or electric.

Having a "final" heater after the solar tank that does not store water means
all of the water comes directly from the solar tank, and the instant heater
only needs to boost the temperature as needed.

The only trouble we have ever had with an Aquastar is when the water flow is
very slow and does not "trip" the gas valve, causing no aux. heating, which
is each to solve by instructing the owner to always turn on the faucet full
force for  a few seconds then valve back as needed.  Also, be sure to order
the control option that allows an Aquastar to be feed from a heated supply
line and not a cold water line.

Jeff Yago
Dunimis Technology Inc.
1903 Manakin Road