PV and airplanes - was Give peace a chance [RE-wrenches]

Kent Sheldon kentsheldon at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 30 18:02:55 PDT 2002

I helped install 90kW of PV for a hybrid system on the Navy's San
Clemente Island naval bombing range. They were worried the glare and
heat signature would attract infra-red guided weapons. Not to date, but
the Marines managed to blow up part of the array with a little too much
C4 a little too close.

I've also commissioned large (20-100kW) PV sites on or quite near
runways at Ascension Island (US Air Force), Las Vegas Airport, Coronado
Island (Navy) and Glendale - AZ Municipal. I'm sure there were others.
Never heard of a single complaint from a pilot. Although, I did hear the
commercial pilots were complaining about the glare from the Luxor hotel
in Vegas. Last time I checked, it was still there.

Kent Sheldon