Give peace a chance [RE-wrenches]

mrousso at urbanrefuge.com mrousso at urbanrefuge.com
Tue Jul 30 15:08:02 PDT 2002

Based on a very unscientific survey (my observations
down here in Southern California) a lot of the people
selling and installing PV don't have a clue as to what
they are doing.  As I indicated on a previous post, I
went to a workshop sponsored by LADWP and 95% of the
audience didn't know the difference between parallel
and serial connections!  Most of the attendees were
retailers, electricians, or HVAC contractors.  I came
away very disturbed and afraid of the potential impact
to this burgeoning industry.

There is currently in place in California a very
rigorous process to license contractors.  However,
just because you have a C-10 (electrical) or C-46
(solar) does it mean you know how to CORRECTLY do PV.
I have a C-46 and Bill is right on, there are no
questions related to PV on the exam.  I understand
that the exam is currently being updated with
significant participation from qualified wrenches such
as Brother Graham -- that's good!  But the point is
just because you have a contractor's license doesn't
mean that you know what you're doing.  Experience and
hands-on are the best teachers and there has to be a
mechanism established to weed out those who shouldn't
be playing with PV.

Is NABCEP the answer??  Don't know...  However I do
know that programs like SEI's should become mandatory
as part of a licensing or certification process.  It
was the best money I ever spent because even though I
have an engineering background it didn't mean I knew
what I was doing until I covered the basics and
developed a fundamental understanding of design and
installation issues pertaining to PV.

So, the fundamental question is how do we recognize
the value of the many experienced wrenches out there
and minimize the impact of any new requirements on
them WHILE keeping the unqualified at bay?

The other important part of this equation also needs
to be addressed:  the education of personnel
responsible for code conformance and enforcement.  It
is extremely frustrating to submit a solid design and
then have a bureaucrat tell you that he doesn't know a
thing about PV, but he wants to hold hearings and
compile evidence that "PV is not a hazard to airplanes
flying over." (actual quote!).

Done for now...
Mo

=====
Mo Rousso
Urban Refuge, Inc. - A Solar Energy Company
760.451.9374 (v) 760.451.9784 (f) 760.845.8843 (c)
mrousso at urbanrefuge.com
www.urbanrefuge.com

http://autos.yahoo.com

- - - -